First day of Kindergarten August 10, 1998
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. 1 Timothy 4:12

Monday, May 17, 2010

CHANGES

WOW! Has it been a while or what? I always come up with things to say, or at least start, but never can seem to get everything in order to continue. I actually have several ‘rough drafts’ of things saved. This blog thing is harder for me than I thought it would be.

This has been a year of changes, trials, etc. for my family and for some of my friends. As I think about this I am reminded of a conversation I had with a sweet little 84 year old woman this weekend. I was in her place of business and she had opera music playing. I didn’t think anything of it at the time. Then she said “I don’t really like opera music. I just try to listen to a little bit of it every day. It helps me grow. Yes, I still want to grow at 84 years old.” I don’t like opera at all to be honest so I could completely see this as a challenge for me if I were to have to do it even for a little while every day. If we don’t have trials and tribulations, changes and challenges there is no way we can grow in our faith in God.

When I look back at these things that have shaped who I am now compared to even a year ago I am amazed in some ways. I know some folks have been through more but this has been a lot to ‘take in’ in a short amount of time. It started with my stepmother getting that dreaded diagnosis of cancer a year ago in January. She made a ‘declaration’, if you will, that she was going to stick around to see her grandson, Brady born. Brady was born on May 17th 2009. We lost Teresa on June 6, 2009. Today is Brady’s first birthday. Gammie is SUPPOSED to be helping his mommy make his first birthday cakes.

Other changes we have experienced are having a 16 year old in the house and a ‘tween’ as well. Our youngest, the ‘tween’, started at a brand new intermediate school. He has had many challenges himself this year learning how to control himself and deal with bullies. One of our other nephews started his senior year of high school and traveled through the journey of his parents’ divorce.

A friend was diagnosed with breast cancer and has been an amazing champion fighting each and every challenge as it comes. Her oldest graduates high school this week too. WOW! How time flies. I remember when he was in elementary school and his beautiful sisters were little.

Another friend has a toddler that has been battling cancer for quite a while. The little guy actually walked 3 laps at Relay for Life the other night; something they said he probably wouldn’t be able to do a year ago.

All of these trials and tribulations, changes and challenges have been shaping all of us into the people we are now and who we will become (good, bad or ugly). My prayer is it’s always the good for my family and friends!

Tonight at our women’s Bible study, we did a personality test that I had done a few years ago. I was a little surprised to see that my results had changed. The personality traits were related to animals (Otter, Golden Retriever, Lion, and Beaver). When I first heard our former pastor do the sermon series on these I was able to determine that, at that time, I was more of a Golden Retriever. After taking the test again today, I learned I am now a Lion. The other traits are still strong but my lion has come out more. I believe now that the reason I was a Golden Retriever then was because my husband was going through some major health issues and I was having to care for him, the children, etc. I didn’t have it in me to be a Lion (that is unless you were to mess with him or my kids). He is better now and I can definitely see where the Lion has roared back to life. Changes, changes, changes! Now I just have to learn to tame that Lion when necessary.

Take some time to reflect on where your life has been for the past year or two. What major changes, etc. have you experienced either directly or indirectly. Have you grown? Someone posted a quote the other day (they were talking about dieting though) “If it doesn’t hurt it won’t work.” Sometimes that is true in life. Some of these things we go through MUST hurt. Otherwise we wouldn’t find the arms of God necessary.

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8
1There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
2a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment